Jeremy Martin-Weber, of Portland, OR, has stirred up the internet with his recent social media post about parenting roles.
From Martin-Weber’s Facebook Post:
Jessica, the mother of our 6 children, is boarding an airplane as I type, headed out of town, out of state, for work for the next several days.
Now to figure out who:
– will cook and feed my children
– will get them to school on time
– will pick out clothes for our youngest to wear
– will respect their routines and help hold those boundaries for them
– will hug them when they need a hug, and kiss their bruises, and tend to their scrapes.
– will comfort them with their nightmares and help them go back to sleep
– will help them with conflict resolution with their siblings
– will listen to every little detail they want to share about their day
– will read them a story, encourage them to play outside, or play a game with them
– will support and encourage my teenage daughters with their feminine “problems,” and their relationship struggles
– will model kindness, love, patience, listening, empathy, strength, bravery, and all the good things to them
Who is going to do all that stuff while their mom is away? Me. That’s who. Because I’m not the babysitter. I’m not just their playmate.
I’m their dad. And looking after them and guiding them and caring for them is my responsibility. And I love it – with all of its challenges.
No the house will not fall apart or be trashed and the kids will not be ruined because dad is in charge. And no, I don’t deserve anyone’s special praise and adoration because “Wow! This dad can look after his own kids.” I’m just doing what every parent should do, and what moms do every day without praise or adoration. It is enough that the mother of our children and I communicate our appreciation to each other for all the things we do for our family.
The father of six made the post because he’s tired of the public’s views on parenting roles.
Source: NBC News.
Photo Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/dad-babysitter-sparks-conversation-parental-roles/story?id=47494924